Skip primary navigation


Skip secondary navigation

Nappa Hall

Click on images below to enlarge

Nappa Hall

© YDNPA, 2004, (NPH2)


Return to previous page

Nappa Hall

Historical Environment Record No: MYD34269

Parish: Askrigg

OS Grid Reference: SD965907

Dale: Lower Wensleydale

Link to Archaeology Data Service:
http://ads.ahds.ac.uk/catalogue/collections/blurbs/420.cfm

Description

Nappa Hall is a fine example of a 15th century fortified manor house. It was built in 1459 by James Metcalfe at a time when there were frequent raids by the Scots. A single-storey central hall sits between two towers, a four-storey western tower and a two-storey eastern tower. The four-storey tower has a turret, lit by slit vents, for a spiral staircase that climbs to crenellated parapets.

The taller tower retains its original windows, but sash windows were inserted in the 18th century in the lower two-storey block which housed the kitchen and service rooms, at the opposite end of the hall. In the 17th century, an extra wing was added. The hall remained in the hands of the Metcalfe family for centuries. It was described by Leland in the 16th century as a “very goodly House”. Today it is sadly in need of repair.
Source:
Hatcher, Jane (1990) Richmondshire Architecture. Richmond: C J Hatcher

Location

Lies half way along road between Woodhall and Askrigg. Public footpath from road to Nappa Mill runs past the hall. No public access to hall itself.

Public Transport Details

Nearest town/village: Askrigg. Call Traveline on 0870 608 2 608 to plan your journey. After the welcome message key in 885 for North Yorkshire information

Accessibility

Metalled driveway then unsurfaced footpath.


Related Timeline

Related Themes