Skip primary navigation


Skip secondary navigation

Norman tub font, St Mary's Church, Kettlewell

Click on images below to enlarge

Norman Font, Kettlewell

© YDNPA, 2004,


Return to previous page

Norman tub font, St Mary's Church, Kettlewell

Historical Environment Record No: MYD36578

Parish: Kettlewell with Conistone

OS Grid Reference: SD971722

Dale: Upper Wharfedale

Link to Archaeology Data Service:
http://ads.ahds.ac.uk/catalogue/collections/blurbs/420.cfm

Description

The church at Kettlewell has had a chequered history. St Mary’s as it stands today is mostly 19th century with an 18th century tower. Inside however, is evidence of an earlier church, the Norman tub font. The font has a boar’s-head carving on one corner, possibly the badge of the local lords, the Nevilles. The other three corners have the badge of the Virgin Mary, the fleur-de-lys. Local historians suggest that the Norman church was probably damaged in the great flood of 1686 and eventually completely replaced in the 18th century. Source: http://www.kettlewell.info/church.cfm - village website with church page giving short description

Location

Church is on east side of village up a short lane opposite the Kings Head Inn. The church is open daily. See www.yorkshirechurches.com for further details.

Public Transport Details

Nearest town/village: Kettlewell. Call Traveline on 0870 608 2 608 to plan your journey. After the welcome message key in 885 for North Yorkshire information.

Accessibility

See www.yorkshirechurches.com for access details.


Related Timeline

Related Themes