Skip primary navigation


Skip secondary navigation

Old School, Horsehouse

Click on images below to enlarge

Old School, Horsehouse

© YDNPA, 2004,


Return to previous page

Old School, Horsehouse

Historical Environment Record No: MYD36586

Parish: Carlton Highdale

OS Grid Reference: SE045815

Dale: Lower Wensleydale

Link to Archaeology Data Service:
http://ads.ahds.ac.uk/catalogue/collections/blurbs/420.cfm

Description

The building that now houses Horsehouse village hall in Coverdale was once Horsehouse school. It was rebuilt in 1877 with funds donated by H T Robinson Esq and Mr G W W Wray of Leyburn. The following poem can be seen there. It was composed by a local man, Ralph Rider, who was 90 years old and blind at the time. His descendants now live in America. It presumably records the benefactors of the earlier school. “The Stranger may here see as he goes by An Act of most extensive Charity Which Providence has brought upon the stage Such Deeds are rare in this degenerate age Where sensual Pleasures, Avarice and Pride Predominate, and Virtue laid aside. Here’s Treasure laid for ages to endure from Rust and Moth and Pilfering thieves secure Which like seed sown upon a fertile soil In time will recompense the Plowman’s toil. Posterity may reap the crop and thank JOHN CONSTANTINE and WILLIAM SWITHINBANK” Source: Hatcher, Jane (1990) Richmondshire Architecture. Richmond: C J Hatcher

Location

Lies on northern edge of Horsehouse on west side of road at junction with public bridleway up High Gill. Kept locked, but regularly used for community events. View from roadside.

Public Transport Details

Nearest town/village: Horsehouse. Call Traveline on 0870 608 2 608 to plan your journey. After the welcome message key in 885 for North Yorkshire information.

Accessibility

Viewable from roadside.


Related Timeline

Related Themes