Skip primary navigation


Skip secondary navigation

Pratt’s stables and kennels, Askrigg

Click on images below to enlarge

Site of Pratt's stables, Askrigg

© YDNPA, 2004,


Return to previous page

Pratt’s stables and kennels, Askrigg

Historical Environment Record No: MYD34267

Parish: Askrigg

OS Grid Reference: SD948911

Dale: Lower Wensleydale

Link to Archaeology Data Service:
http://ads.ahds.ac.uk/catalogue/collections/blurbs/420.cfm

Description

John Pratt was a racehorse breeder and master of the Askrigg Harriers during the 18th century. He kept his hunters and pack of hounds in a yard behind the house he built on Askrigg’s main street in 1767. The kennels and stabling date to the late 18th or early 19th century. The kennels had a semi-circular enclosure attached and the long row of stabling lay beyond. The site has now been developed to provide holiday accommodation. Source: Hartley, M & Ingilby, J (1953) Yorkshire Village. London: J M Dent & Sons Nottage, D B (1996) ‘The Squire of Askrigg’ Yorkshire History Quarterly. Vol 2:2 pp45-47

Location

Site lies in centre of Askrigg on west side of main road. Now redeveloped as holiday accommodation. No public access. View through archway from roadside.

Public Transport Details

Nearest town/village: Askrigg. Call Traveline on 0870 608 2 608 to plan your journey. After the welcome message key in 885 for North Yorkshire information.

Accessibility

Viewable from roadside pavement.


Related Timeline

Related Themes