Punchard Toll House
Historical Environment Record No: MYD34223
OS Grid Reference: NY972052
Link to Archaeology Data Service:
Punchard Toll House is a late 18th century single storey toll bar cottage. It was located on the Reeth and Tan Hill Turnpike Road and its purpose was to house the toll keeper who collected money tolls from people wishing to travel on the turnpike road. It had two small rooms, each with an outside door, one for the collector’s office, one to house his family. The tolls were very unpopular and in 1845, one dispute ended up in the Richmond court where the toll keeper, David Raines was ordered to pay back a toll charge he had collected illegally. The building is a rare, and relatively unaltered survival of the turnpike road era. It is now used as a shelter for farm animals.
Hatcher, Jane (1990) Richmondshire Architecture. Richmond: C J Hatcher
On north side of road from Langthwaite to Tan Hill Inn. Lies just under a mile from Whaw Lane End. No public access. View from roadside.
Public Transport Details
Nearest town/village: Whaw. Call Traveline on 0870 608 2 608 to plan your journey. After the welcome message key in 885 for North Yorkshire information.
Viewable from roadside.