Skip primary navigation


Skip secondary navigation

Quaker graveyard, Hawes

Click on images below to enlarge

Quaker graveyard, Hawes

© YDNPA, 2004,


Return to previous page

Quaker graveyard, Hawes

Historical Environment Record No: MYD36599

Parish: Hawes

OS Grid Reference: SD875899

Dale: Upper Wensleydale

Link to Archaeology Data Service:
http://ads.ahds.ac.uk/catalogue/collections/blurbs/420.cfm

Description

The first Quaker meetings in Hawes were held in members’ houses. After the Act of Toleration was passed in 1689, Quakers were allowed to worship unhindered and build their own meeting houses. As early as 1680 Oswald Routh left land in Hawes for a Quaker graveyard lying beside the Hardraw road junction. By 1700 a cottage had been converted into a meeting house nearby. This continued in use until the 1920s. The property was demolished in advance of road widening but the graveyard still remains although now disused. Source: Alderson, James (1980) Under Wetherfell. The Story of Hawes Parish & People. Gayle: Brian Alderson [‘The Quakers’ pp75-77]

Location

Enter east side of Hawes on A684. Site lies on right hand side of road, immediately after the entrance to the Dales Countryside Museum car park.

Public Transport Details

Nearest town/village: Hawes. Call Traveline on 0870 608 2 608 to plan your journey. After the welcome message key in 885 for North Yorkshire information.

Accessibility

Steps down into graveyard.


Related Timeline

Related Themes