Skip primary navigation


Skip secondary navigation

Quaker Meeting House, Countersett

Click on images below to enlarge

Quaker Meeting House, Countersett

YDNPA, 2004,


Return to previous page

Quaker Meeting House, Countersett

Historical Environment Record No: MYD34365

Parish: Bainbridge

OS Grid Reference: SD919879

Dale: Upper Wensleydale

Link to Archaeology Data Service:
http://ads.ahds.ac.uk/catalogue/collections/blurbs/420.cfm

Description

Richard Robinson of Countersett Hall was an early convert to the non-conformist faith whose members became known as Quakers. He may even have heard George Fox preaching when he visited Yorkshire and Cumbria in 1652. Although he was forbidden by law to practise his faith he seems to have held meetings at Countersett Hall and by 1661 was imprisoned in York for refusing to pay tithes (taxes) to the Church of England. Richard was persecuted for many years. After his death in 1693 his son Michael continued the family faith and about 1710, he built a new meeting house in Countersett. A rebuild in 1778 lowered the floor level and replaced some windows, but the building as it stands today is substantially as it was when built.
Source:
Cooper, Edmund (1979) The Quakers of Swaledale and Wensleydale. London: Quaker Home Service

Hall, David S (1994) Richard Robinson of Countersett, 1628-1693 and the Quakers of Wensleydale. York: Sessions

Hatcher, Jane (1990) Richmondshire Architecture. Richmond: C J Hatcher

Rooksby, Donald A (1994) The Man in Leather Breeches. The Quakers in North-west England:1. Colwyn Bay: The Author

Location

Lies next to Countersett Hall within the hamlet of Countersett. Open during daylight hours.

Public Transport Details

Nearest town/village: Bainbridge. Call Traveline on 0870 608 2 608 to plan your journey. After the welcome message key in 885 for North Yorkshire information

Accessibility

Sloping driveway, deep steps into building.


Related Timeline

Related Themes