Skip primary navigation


Skip secondary navigation

Queen’s Gardens, Sedbergh

Click on images below to enlarge

Queen's Gardens, Sedbergh

© YDNPA, 2004,


Return to previous page

Queen’s Gardens, Sedbergh

Historical Environment Record No: MYD36569

Parish: Sedbergh

OS Grid Reference: SD650918

Dale: Cumbria

Link to Archaeology Data Service:
http://ads.ahds.ac.uk/catalogue/collections/blurbs/420.cfm

Description

These peaceful gardens were presented to the town of Sedbergh by Mrs Upton-Cottrell-Dormer of Ingmire Hall in 1906 to commemorate the reign of Queen Victoria. A stone Memorial cross is sited at the highest point. The pathways and plantings were carried out to her elaborate design by a team of her own gardeners. Originally there would have been a bandstand on the grassy slope facing the bowling green. The gardens eventually became overgrown but recent work by local people with help from the Yorkshire Dales Millennium Trust has breathed new life into this secret corner of Sedbergh.

Location

Gardens lie on western edge of Sedbergh beside the A684 about 1/2 mile from town centre.

Public Transport Details

Nearest town/village: Sedbergh. Call Traveline on 0870 608 2 608 to plan your journey. After the welcome message key in 874 for Cumbria information.

Accessibility

Well-maintained paths. Some inclines.


Related Timeline

Related Themes