Skip primary navigation


Skip secondary navigation

Reeth Green pumps

Click on images below to enlarge

Reeth Green pump

© YDNPA, 2004,

Reeth Green pump

© YDNPA, 2004,


Return to previous page

Reeth Green pumps

Historical Environment Record No: MYD36653

Parish: Reeth, Fremington & Healaugh

OS Grid Reference: SE038992

Dale: Swaledale

Link to Archaeology Data Service:
http://ads.ahds.ac.uk/catalogue/collections/blurbs/420.cfm

Description

These two stone built water sources were erected on Reeth Green in 1869 by George Robinson of Richmond. They replaced the Low Pump, the base of which survives near the former Workhouse. A bronze plaque on one of the pumps reads: “This water was brought into the Town, and these Tanks erected by the Munificence of Geo Robinson Esq’re of Richmond 1868”. George Robinson was the principal 19th century landowner in Reeth, and he lived nearby in what is now the Burgoyne Hotel.

Location

Both pumps lie on Reeth Green, one near the bandstand the other in grass in front of the Burgoyne Hotel.

Public Transport Details

Nearest town/village: Reeth. Call Traveline on 0870 608 2 608 to plan your journey. After the welcome message key in 885 for North Yorkshire information.

Accessibility

Viewable from roadside. Cobbled surface around one, grass around the other.


Related Timeline

Related Themes