Skip primary navigation


Skip secondary navigation

Reeth Union Workhouse

Click on images below to enlarge

Reeth Union Workhouse

(c) YDNPA, 2011,


Return to previous page

Reeth Union Workhouse

Historical Environment Record No: MYD16933

Parish: Reeth, Fremington and Healaugh

OS Grid Reference: SE039992

Dale: Swaledale

Link to Archaeology Data Service:
http://ads.ahds.ac.uk/catalogue/collections/blurbs/420.cfm

Description

Reeth’s original parish workhouse was built around 1753 on Back Lane. In 1837, Reeth became part of the new Richmond Poor Law Union, but its remote location caused administration problems so Reeth became a separate Poor Law Union in 1840. An old mansion near to the original workhouse was bought and converted. It housed 60 people. The building is now a tea shop and private housing.
Source:
http://www.workhouses.org.uk/Reeth comprehensive website about workhouses in Britain

Hastings, P (1996) Richmond and Reeth Workhouse. Ripon: Ripon Museum Trust


Related Timeline

Related Themes