Skip primary navigation


Skip secondary navigation

Ribblehead Quarry

Click on images below to enlarge

Ribblehead Quarry - aerial photo

YDNPA, 2004, (267/07)


Return to previous page

Ribblehead Quarry

Historical Environment Record No: MYD36623

Parish: Ingleton

OS Grid Reference: SD767787

Dale: Ribblesdale

Link to Archaeology Data Service:
http://ads.ahds.ac.uk/catalogue/collections/blurbs/420.cfm

Description

Ribblehead Quarry began life in 1943 producing high quality limestone for the iron industry in Durham. A powdering plant on site also produced lime for use in agriculture, toothpaste, cosmetics and scouring powders. By 1998 the quarry had long been dormant and had begun to return to nature. In that year the site owners voluntarily gave up their mineral extraction rights. The following year they handed it over to English Nature who have decided to allow the site to continue to regenerate naturally.

Location

The quarry is reached by a track off the B6255 .The track is about 250 metres south east (direction of Ingleton) of the junction with the B6479 to Horton-in-Ribbledale. Turn left,immediately past the railway bridge.
Drive down the track for about 300 metres to a gate on the right next to an English Nature interpretation Board.There is plenty of space to park.

Public Transport Details

Nearest town/village: Ribblehead Station. Call Traveline on 0870 608 2 608 to plan your journey. After the welcome message key in 885 for North Yorkshire information.

Accessibility

Path is rough and stony in places. Gate at entrance to quarry.


Related Timeline

Related Themes