Skip primary navigation


Skip secondary navigation

Robin Cross boundary stone

Click on images below to enlarge

Robin Cross stone

© YDNPA, 2004, (RS68)


Return to previous page

Robin Cross boundary stone

Historical Environment Record No: MYD34856

Parish: Ellerton Abbey

OS Grid Reference: SE069952

Dale: Swaledale

Link to Archaeology Data Service:
http://ads.ahds.ac.uk/catalogue/collections/blurbs/420.cfm

Description

A roughly shaped boundary stone dated 1866. It is approximately 1 metre high and inscribed on its east face “S ED…ED”. On the south face, in crude lettering it has “EAP 1866”. It was erected by the Earl-Drax family of Ellerton Abbey to mark the boundary of Ellerton Abbey Parish.

Location

In Leyburn 100 metres north of the market place take the minor road signposted Grinton. The boundary stone is about 4 miles from Leyburn at the highest point on the road across the moor. It is on the left hand side just as the wall turns sharply away from the road.

Public Transport Details

Nearest town/village: Leyburn. Call Traveline on 0870 608 2 608 to plan your journey. After the welcome message key in 885 for North Yorkshire information.

Accessibility

Viewable from roadside.


Related Timeline

Related Themes