Skip primary navigation


Skip secondary navigation

Rocking Hall shooting house

Click on images below to enlarge

Rocking Hall shooting house

© YDNPA, 2004,

Rocking Hall shooting house

© YDNPA, 2004,


Return to previous page

Rocking Hall shooting house

Historical Environment Record No: MYD36614

Parish: Beamsley

OS Grid Reference: SE110578

Dale: Lower Wharfedale

Link to Archaeology Data Service:
http://ads.ahds.ac.uk/catalogue/collections/blurbs/420.cfm

Description

An early example of a shooting house, built in 1758 for the Bolton Abbey Estate. It is a substantial stone-built structure and features separate rooms for the shooters and beaters. It takes its name from a large ‘rocking stone’ nearby. It lies next to an earlier 17th century farmhouse. It is still in use and has been visited by many distinguished guests, including King George V in 1911.

Location

From A59 at Kex Gill take junction north signed West End for 2 miles. A track leaves road in a westerly direction at Spittle Ings (access point for Bolton Abbey Estate). Continue for 3 miles along track to site.

Public Transport Details

Nearest town/village: Blubberhouses. Call Traveline on 0870 608 2 608 to plan your journey. After the welcome message key in 885 for North Yorkshire information.

Accessibility

Two ladder stiles and a field gate on track to site. Steady climb up to site.


Related Timeline

Related Themes