Skip primary navigation


Skip secondary navigation

Sandemanian Chapel (Village Institute), Gayle

Click on images below to enlarge

Sandemanian Chapel

© YDNPA, 2004,

Sandemanian Chapel - graveyard

© YDNPA, 2004,


Return to previous page

Sandemanian Chapel (Village Institute), Gayle

Historical Environment Record No: MYD35068

Parish: Hawes

OS Grid Reference: SD871893

Dale: Upper Wensleydale

Link to Archaeology Data Service:
http://ads.ahds.ac.uk/catalogue/collections/blurbs/420.cfm

Description

A single-storey stone rubble building with a stone slate roof built around 1755 as an Inghamite Chapel by the Batty brothers and James Allen of Gayle. Shortly afterwards they became followers of Robert Sandeman, who seceded from the Scottish Church. To the east of the chapel is a burial ground with well-lettered 18th and 19th century tombstones. The building is now used as a village institute. Source: Alderson, James (1980) Under Wetherfell. The Story of Hawes Parish & People. Gayle: Brian Alderson [‘The Sandemanians’ pp77-78]

Location

From centre of Gayle take road running east to A684. Site lies 100 metres from Gayle bridge on left hand side of road. View from roadside. Open for community events only.

Public Transport Details

Nearest town/village: Gayle. Call Traveline on 0870 608 2 608 to plan your journey. After the welcome message key in 885 for North Yorkshire information.

Accessibility

Viewable from roadside.


Related Timeline

Related Themes