Skip primary navigation


Skip secondary navigation

Scargill House Chapel

Click on images below to enlarge

Scargill House chapel

© YDNPA, 2004,


Return to previous page

Scargill House Chapel

Historical Environment Record No: MYD35198

Parish: Kettlewell with Starbotton

OS Grid Reference: SD977710

Dale: Upper Wharfedale

Link to Archaeology Data Service:
http://ads.ahds.ac.uk/catalogue/collections/blurbs/420.cfm

Description

Scargill Chapel is one of the few 20th century buildings within the National Park to have been listed. It was built in 1958-61 as the chapel for a religious holiday and conference centre. The architect was George G Pace, one of the leading ecclesiastical architects of his day. The unusual steeply pitched roof is visible from the other side of the Dale and the building uses local materials ‘to appear to grow out of the dale’ as Pace intended. Source: Pace P G (1990) The Architecture of George Pace. London:Batsford http://www.scargillmovement.org - website with information about the religious centre, chapel and estate

Location

In Kettlewell take Conistone road signed Scargill House. Entrance is 1 1/2 miles along. No public access. Chapel can also be viewed on east side of valley from B6160 Threshfield to Kettlewell road. See www.scargillhouse.co.uk for further details.

Public Transport Details

Nearest town/village: Kettlewell. Call Traveline on 0870 608 2 608 to plan your journey. After the welcome message key in 885 for North Yorkshire information.

Accessibility

Not open to the public, but see www.scargillmovement.org for courses and access information.


Related Timeline

Related Themes