Skip primary navigation


Skip secondary navigation

Sedbergh School library

Click on images below to enlarge

Sedbergh School library

© YDNPA, 2004,


Return to previous page

Sedbergh School library

Historical Environment Record No: MYD35657

Parish: Sedbergh

OS Grid Reference: SD657920

Dale: Cumbria

Link to Archaeology Data Service:
http://ads.ahds.ac.uk/catalogue/collections/blurbs/420.cfm

Description

Sedbergh’s public school was founded in 1525 by Roger Lupton. The library building dates to 1716 and originally housed the school classrooms. The Old Grammar School as it is sometimes known, was altered in the 19th century and the interior remodelled in 1957-8 by Sir Albert Richardson. Source: Hartley, Marie & Ingilby, Joan (1991) The Yorkshire Dales. Otley: Smith Settle Yorke, Peter (1996) 'The Foundation of Sedbergh School' Sedbergh Historian. Vol 3:5 pp33-38 http://www.sedbergh.cumbria.sch.uk/ - website for Sedbergh School

Location

South side of Sedbergh beside the junction of Back Lane and the Dent road. Loftus Hill car park (free) nearby. Open to the public when not in use by students. School contact details on www.sedbergh.cumbria.sch.uk/

Public Transport Details

Nearest town/village: Sedbergh. Call Traveline on 0870 608 2 608 to plan your journey. After the welcome message key in 874 for Cumbria information.

Accessibility

Check with school, contact details on www.sedbergh.cumbria.sch.uk/


Related Timeline

Related Themes