Skip primary navigation


Skip secondary navigation

Sedbergh Union Workhouse

Click on images below to enlarge

Sedbergh Union Workhouse (Loftus Manor)

© YDNPA, 2004,


Return to previous page

Sedbergh Union Workhouse

Historical Environment Record No: MYD36632

Parish: Sedbergh

OS Grid Reference: SD659917

Dale: Cumbria

Link to Archaeology Data Service:
http://ads.ahds.ac.uk/catalogue/collections/blurbs/420.cfm

Description

Sedbergh Union was the smallest in the West Riding of Yorkshire with only three parishes, Sedbergh, Garsdale and Dent. A classical style workhouse was finally built by the Union in 1857 south of Sedbergh on the Dent road. It was built of rubble stone with dressed stone quoins and dressings and a slate roof. It housed 60 people in a T-shaped building with a porterís lodge and casual ward block to one side. The building was converted into flats in 1977. Source: www.workhouse.org.uk/Sedbergh - comprehensive website about workhouses in Britain

Location

Take road to Millthrop out of Sedbergh. Site lies on east side of Loftus Hill 150 metres south of Sedbergh School chapel. Now converted into private flats and called Loftus Manor. No public access. View from roadside.

Public Transport Details

Nearest town/village: Sedbergh. Call Traveline on 0870 608 2 608 to plan your journey. After the welcome message key in 874 for Cumbria information.

Accessibility

Viewable from roadside.


Related Timeline

Related Themes