St Andrew’s Church, Grinton
Historical Environment Record No: MYD4533
OS Grid Reference: SE046984
Link to Archaeology Data Service:
The parish church at Grinton retains only fragments of its Norman beginnings including a circular 12th century font with a chevron design, a window in the tower and part of the chancel arch. The rest of the fabric dates to the 15th and 16th centuries. The church belonged to Bridlington Priory at that time and fragments of 15th century stained glass in the east window carry the words ‘Maria Bredlingtone’ along with a possible representation of St George. The nave contains a late Jacobean pulpit and a sounding board dated 1718. The church was restored in 1896 by Searle Hicks of Newcastle-upon-Tyne. Grinton served a huge Medieval parish and until the consecration of the graveyard at Muker in 1580, it provided the only burial ground in the whole of Upper Swaledale.
The church lies in the centre of Grinton at the junction of roads to Reeth, Richmond and Leyburn. Open during daylight hours. See www.yorkshirechurches.com for further details.
Public Transport Details
Nearest town/village: Grinton. Call Traveline on 0870 608 2 608 to plan your journey. After the welcome message key in 885 for North Yorkshire information.
Level well made paths in churchyard. See www.yorkshirechurches.com for further details.