Skip primary navigation


Skip secondary navigation

St Mary the Virginís Church, Muker

Click on images below to enlarge

St Mary the Virginís Church, Muker

© YDNPA, 2004,


Return to previous page

St Mary the Virginís Church, Muker

Historical Environment Record No: MYD35409

Parish: Muker

OS Grid Reference: SD910978

Dale: Swaledale

Link to Archaeology Data Service:
http://ads.ahds.ac.uk/catalogue/collections/blurbs/420.cfm

Description

A chapel-of-ease had stood on this site previously but in 1580 it was substantially rebuilt and a graveyard consecrated so that residents of Upper Swaledale no longer had to transport their dead all the way to the parish church in Grinton. The tower, nave and chancel all date to this period. It would at that time have had a thatched roof and the evidence for the older steep pitched roof can be seen inside. The roof was replaced with stone slates in 1761. The church was restored in 1891. Source: Cooper, Edmund (1948) Muker: The Story of a Yorkshire Parish. Clapham: Dalesman

Location

From centre of Muker take road past Literary Institute north. The gate to the church is on right next to the Public Hall. Open during daylight hours. See www.yorkshirechurches.com for further details.

Public Transport Details

Nearest town/village: Muker. Call Traveline on 0870 608 2 608 to plan your journey. After the welcome message key in 885 for North Yorkshire information.

Accessibility

Level, well-made paths in churchyard. See www.yorkshirechurches.com for further details.


Related Timeline

Related Themes