Skip primary navigation


Skip secondary navigation

St Peter's Chapel of Ease, Hebden

Click on images below to enlarge

Hebden Church

© YDNPA, 2004,


Return to previous page

St Peter's Chapel of Ease, Hebden

Historical Environment Record No: MYD35857

Parish: Hebden

OS Grid Reference: SE026629

Dale: Lower Wharfedale

Link to Archaeology Data Service:
http://ads.ahds.ac.uk/catalogue/collections/blurbs/420.cfm

Description

The first place of worship to be built in Hebden in Wharfedale was the Methodist Chapel, and this wasnít until 1812. In 1838 a large proportion of the congregation broke away and built a Primitive Methodist chapel nearby. This and the growing village population finally spurred the Church of England on to build its own church in the village. St Peterís chapel of ease was built to the designs of its curate, the Rev John Feron, and is in the Gothic revival style. It was consecrated in October 1841.
Source:
Joy, David (2002) Hebden. The History of a Dales Township. Hebden: Hebden History Group

Location

Turn right into village off the B6265 Grassington to Pateley Bridge road. Just past the old school take the lane on the right. For services and opening details see www.yorkshirechurches.com.

Public Transport Details

Nearest town/village: Hebden. Call Traveline on 0870 608 2 608 to plan your journey. After the welcome message key in 885 for North Yorkshire information.

Accessibility

Steps into church. See www.yorkshirechurches.com for further details.


Related Timeline

Related Themes