Skip primary navigation


Skip secondary navigation

Storth colliery

Click on images below to enlarge

Storth colliery

YDNPA, 2004,

Storth colliery

YDNPA, 2004,


Return to previous page

Storth colliery

Historical Environment Record No: MYD25871

Parish: Hawes

OS Grid Reference: SD865866

Dale: Upper Wensleydale

Link to Archaeology Data Service:
http://ads.ahds.ac.uk/catalogue/collections/blurbs/420.cfm

Description

Edmund Dinsdale of Busk Farm was granted a lease in 1770 to prospect for coal in the Wetherfell, Sleddale and Storth area although several leases had already been granted in previous years. The quality of the coal was poor but unreliable roads and the high cost of carriage into the area meant that the colliery was viable at that time. Various disputes over unofficial working arose over the next few years and the lease was held by several other local men. By 1885 the rent had fallen to over half of what it was in the middle of the 19th century. By this time, good quality coal was being brought in on the Wensleydale railway. Storth pits closed sometime at the end of the 19th century, but were reopened briefly from 1912 to 1914 and again in 1926 during the national strike. A row of partially-grassed over colliery spoil heaps is clearly visible along the road up Sleddale. Source: Alderson, James (1980) Under Wetherfell. The Story of Hawes Parish & People. Gayle: Brian Alderson

Location

From Gayle take road south signed to Oughtershaw and Buckden. Colliery spoil heaps lie on both side of road after about 2 miles. No public access. View from roadside.

Public Transport Details

Nearest town/village: Gayle. Call Traveline on 0870 608 2 608 to plan your journey. After the welcome message key in 885 for North Yorkshire information.

Accessibility

Spoilheaps viewable from roadside.


Related Timeline

Related Themes