Skip primary navigation


Skip secondary navigation

Swinithwaite Hall

Click on images below to enlarge

Swinithwaite Hall

© YDNPA, 2004,


Return to previous page

Swinithwaite Hall

Historical Environment Record No: MYD35846

Parish: West Witton

OS Grid Reference: SE045892

Dale: Lower Wensleydale

Link to Archaeology Data Service:
http://ads.ahds.ac.uk/catalogue/collections/blurbs/420.cfm

Description

Swinithwaite Hall in Wensleydale may be of 17th century origin, but was altered in 1767 for its owner T J Anderson, and then again in 1795 when it was rebuilt to the design of Richmond architect John Foss. Foss may also have been responsible for designing some of the farm buildings on the Swinithwaite estate. The main house is H-plan and two storeys high. Source: Dennison, E (2004) ‘An Historical Landscape Survey: The Swinithwaite Estate, West Witton’ in White, R F & Wilson, P R (eds) (2004) Archaeology and Historic Landscapes of the Yorkshire Dales. Yorkshire Archaeological Society Occasional Paper No 2 pp25-37 Hatcher, Jane (1990) Richmondshire Architecture. Richmond: C J Hatcher, Richmond Hartley, Marie & Ingilby, Joan (1991) The Yorkshire Dales. Otley: Smith Settle

Location

On north side of A684 just under 5 miles west of Leyburn. No public access. View from roadside with care, very busy road.

Public Transport Details

Nearest town/village: Swinithwaite. Call Traveline on 0870 608 2 608 to plan your journey. After the welcome message key in 885 for North Yorkshire information.

Accessibility

Viewable from roadside but note very busy road.


Related Timeline

Related Themes