Skip primary navigation


Skip secondary navigation

Tanning pits, Bolton Priory

Click on images below to enlarge

Tanning pits, Bolton Priory

YDNPA, 2004,

Tanning pits, Bolton Priory

YDNPA, 2004,


Return to previous page

Tanning pits, Bolton Priory

Historical Environment Record No: MYD14794

Parish: Bolton Abbey

OS Grid Reference: SE073540

Dale: Lower Wharfedale

Link to Archaeology Data Service:
http://ads.ahds.ac.uk/catalogue/collections/blurbs/420.cfm

Description

The earthwork remains of two large tanks with associated leats and channels lie within the southern part of the precinct of Bolton Priory. They were originally thought to be fishponds but have now been interpreted as the remains of tanning pits which are known from documentary sources to have existed at the priory.
Source:
Kershaw, Ian (1973) Bolton Priory. The Economy of a Northern Monastery 1286-1325. Oxford: Oxford University Press

Location

From car park (charge) in centre of Bolton Abbey village, follow signs to the Priory. Go through the 'Hole in the Wall' gate and descend steps. Pits are to the left of the footpath in the field at the bottom of the steps.

Public Transport Details

Nearest town/village: Bolton Abbey. Call Traveline on 0870 608 2 608 to plan your journey. After the welcome message key in 885 for North Yorkshire information.

Accessibility

Steep steps, then level well-made footpaths. Viewable from footpath.


Related Timeline

Related Themes