Skip primary navigation


Skip secondary navigation

The Ropemakers, Hawes

Click on images below to enlarge

The Ropemakers

© YDNPA, 2004,


Return to previous page

The Ropemakers, Hawes

Historical Environment Record No: MYD36649

Parish: Hawes

OS Grid Reference: SD875898

Dale: Upper Wensleydale

Link to Archaeology Data Service:
http://ads.ahds.ac.uk/catalogue/collections/blurbs/420.cfm

Description

The current business known as W R Outhwaite & Sons began in the middle of the 19th century with three members of the Wharton family listed as ropemakers in the 1841 census for Hawes. Their business was located at the Old Toll Bar on the road leading to Ingleton out of Hawes, later known as Gate House. The family eventually sold the business and premises to W R Outhwaite in 1905. The ropeworks remained at Gate House until 1922 when the business was moved to its current site at Town Foot near to Hawes Railway Station. In 1975 it was again sold although it retained the Outhwaite name. Its current owners have expanded the business. Additional buildings were added at Town Foot, including a Visitor Centre so that people can see rope and other products being made. Outhwaite’s wooden shed was eventually pulled down in 1981 but its proportions were retained in its replacement. Some of Outhwaite’s original machinery is now on display at the Dales Countryside Museum in Hawes.
Source:
Annison, Ruth & Chapman, Lesley (1983) The Hawes Ropemakers Past and Present. Hawes: The Authors

www.ropemakers.com/history.asp - history of the Hawes Ropemakers. Site accessed 1/3/04

Location

Enter east end of Hawes on A684. Follow sign on right hand side of road into the Dales Countryside Museum car park (charge). Entrance to Ropemakers visitor centre is on opposite side of car park to museum. See www.ropemakers.com for opening times.

Public Transport Details

Nearest town/village: Hawes. Call Traveline on 0870 608 2 608 to plan your journey. After the welcome message key in 885 for North Yorkshire information.

Accessibility

Entrance door for disabled visitors is signposted near the car park entrance.


Related Timeline

Related Themes