Skip primary navigation


Skip secondary navigation

The Tannery, Settle

Click on images below to enlarge

The Tannery, Settle

YDNPA, 2004,


Return to previous page

The Tannery, Settle

Historical Environment Record No: MYD35673

Parish: Settle

OS Grid Reference: SD822632

Dale: Ribblesdale

Link to Archaeology Data Service:
http://ads.ahds.ac.uk/catalogue/collections/blurbs/420.cfm

Description

The Tannery was built in the late 17th century as a farmhouse and barn. A datestone with 1682 and the initials HIAW on it survives over the entrance. The farmhouse became a tannery around 1792 and the garden contains the remains of slate-lined tanning pits about 1.2 metres square and 1.2 metres deep. The barn was converted in the 19th century to form part of the house. Now a private home.

Location

At the south end of Settle on Duke Street (B6480) take a right hand turn just past the Falcon Manor Hotel. Follow this road for 600 metres to the Green. Site lies at the south end of the green. No public access. View from roadside.

Public Transport Details

Nearest town/village: Settle. Call Traveline on 0870 608 2 608 to plan your journey. After the welcome message key in 885 for North Yorkshire information.

Accessibility

Viewable from roadside.


Related Timeline

Related Themes