Skip primary navigation


Skip secondary navigation

Tomgill Bridge boundary marker, near Thoralby

Click on images below to enlarge

Tomgill Bridge boundary marker

© YDNPA, 2004,


Return to previous page

Tomgill Bridge boundary marker, near Thoralby

Historical Environment Record No: MYD35712

Parish: Thoralby

OS Grid Reference: SE004875

Dale: Lower Wensleydale

Link to Archaeology Data Service:
http://ads.ahds.ac.uk/catalogue/collections/blurbs/420.cfm

Description

An early 19th century roadside boundary stone. The inscription reads “Here ends Aysgarth Road” with a date which may read 1833. It also gives the direction of major settlements on the sides and back such as Askrigg and Middleham. It is made from dressed sandstone and is about 50cm high with a rounded top. Such stones marked the limit of a parish’s responsibility for the maintenance of the public highway.

Location

From Thoralby take Aysgarth road north. After 1/2 mile, cross Tomgill Bridge. Stone is on right hand side of road immediately after bridge.

Public Transport Details

Nearest town/village: Thoralby. Call Traveline on 0870 608 2 608 to plan your journey. After the welcome message key in 885 for North Yorkshire information.

Accessibility

Viewable from roadside.


Related Timeline

Related Themes