Skip primary navigation


Skip secondary navigation

Town Hall and Devonshire Institute, Grassington

Click on images below to enlarge

Grassington Town Hall

YDNPA, 2004,


Return to previous page

Town Hall and Devonshire Institute, Grassington

Historical Environment Record No: MYD36010

Parish: Grassington

OS Grid Reference: SE003642

Dale: Lower Wharfedale

Link to Archaeology Data Service:
http://ads.ahds.ac.uk/catalogue/collections/blurbs/420.cfm

Description

This imposing building at the top of Grassington sees constant use as an important community facility. It began life in 1855 as a Mechanics Institute, built by the 6th Duke of Devonshire, owner of the mineral rights on the Bolton Abbey estate. It contained a reading room for the edification of local men and boys. The Duke handed it over to the recently formed Grassington parish council in 1896 for a nominal fee. The back of the building was extended in 1923 to include a large hall, stage, dressing rooms and entrance hall. More recently, local people raised a large sum of money to further extend the building and add access ramps. The new facilities were opened in 1998 by the Marquess of Hartington, son of the 11th Duke of Devonshire.
Source:
Goldthorpe, Ian (1998) Grassington Towards the Millennium. Grassington: The Dales Book Centre

Partrick, C (2004) 'Reading Rooms and Literary Institutes of the Yorkshire Dales' in White, R F & Wilson, P R (eds) (2004) Archaeology and Historic Landscapes of the Yorkshire Dales. Yorkshire Archaeological Society Occasional Paper No 2 pp203-212

Location

In Grassington up the hill from the Market Place by a road junction.It has a large clock and flag pole. The modern extension on the left is labelled 'Devonshire Institute'. Frequently open for events and exhibitions but not open otherwise.

Public Transport Details

Nearest town/village: Grassington. Call Traveline on 0870 608 2 608 to plan your journey. After the welcome message key in 885 for North Yorkshire information.

Accessibility

Designated parking and wheel chair access signposted to the rear. Adapted toilets. Access through front door to the Devonshire Institute is up long flight of steps inside.


Related Timeline

Related Themes