Skip primary navigation

Skip secondary navigation

Turnpike milestone, Widdale Head

Click on images below to enlarge

Turnpike milestone, Widdale Head

© YDNPA, 2004,

Return to previous page

Turnpike milestone, Widdale Head

Historical Environment Record No: MYD26068

Parish: Hawes

OS Grid Reference: SD800845

Dale: Lower Wensleydale

Link to Archaeology Data Service:


Construction of the Richmond to Lancaster Turnpike was begun in 1751 and finished soon after. In 1795 a deviation from the original route took it up Widdale to Newby Head and down to Gearstones, thus avoiding the steep climb out of Bainbridge along the line of the Roman Road (Cam High Road). Cast iron mile posts dating to around 1820 survive in places along the route, but an earlier stone example, perhaps dating to the time of the late 19th century deviation can be seen just north of Newby Head. It is of gritstone, roughly round in section with a domed head and square base. It is inscribed ‘Hawes 6’, but this is now almost illegible. Source: Wright, Geoffrey N (1985) Roads and Trackways of the Yorkshire Dales. Ashbourne: Moorland Publishing


Just over 4 miles from Ribblehead on the B6255 to Hawes. Stone lies on right hand side of road just before Widdale Head Farm.

Public Transport Details

Nearest town/village: Ribblehead Station. Call Traveline on 0870 608 2 608 to plan your journey. After the welcome message key in 885 for North Yorkshire information.


Viewable from raodside but note few stopping places and fast traffic.

Related Timeline

Related Themes