Skip primary navigation


Skip secondary navigation

Weets Cross

Click on images below to enlarge

Weets Cross

YDNPA, 2004,


Return to previous page

Weets Cross

Historical Environment Record No: MYD4136

Parish: Bordley

OS Grid Reference: SD925632

Dale: Upper Wharfedale

Link to Archaeology Data Service:
http://ads.ahds.ac.uk/catalogue/collections/blurbs/420.cfm

Description

These are the remains of a medieval monastic wayside cross. The cross was restored in 1955 and only the base or socket stone is original. The base is made from gritstone and stands near the junction of five townships so may have been important as a boundary stone as well as a route marker to and from the Fountains Abbey estates on Malham Moor. In 1947 the base was moved a little to the north and built into the south side of Weets Gate.
Source:
Raistrick, Arthur (1947) Malham & Malham Moor. Clapham: Dalesman

Location

From Malham head east on Gordale Lane for about 1 1/2 miles until reach public bridleway on right signed to Weets Top. 450 metres along this walled track, cross lies on right hand side beside a field gate.

Public Transport Details

Nearest town/village: Malham. Call Traveline on 0870 608 2 608 to plan your journey. After the welcome message key in 885 for North Yorkshire information.

Accessibility

Steady incline from roadside, rough and stony, muddy in places.


Related Timeline

Related Themes