Skip primary navigation


Skip secondary navigation

Wheelwright’s cottage and workshop, Sedbergh

Click on images below to enlarge

Wheelwright's shop, Sedbergh

© YDNPA, 2004,


Return to previous page

Wheelwright’s cottage and workshop, Sedbergh

Historical Environment Record No: MYD35624

Parish: Sedbergh

OS Grid Reference: SD659920

Dale: Cumbria

Link to Archaeology Data Service:
http://ads.ahds.ac.uk/catalogue/collections/blurbs/420.cfm

Description

Nos 15,16 and 17, Back Lane in Sedbergh were once the accommodation and workshop of a wheelwright’s business established in 1799 by James Handley. The buildings date to the late 18th century but have been altered since. The workshop is attached to the right and rear of the cottage and has a large segmental-headed wagon doorway with board double doors with windows cut into them. Now [2004] a bookshop.
Source:
Trott, Freda (2001) These We Have Known. Stories of Sedbergh People and Places. Kendal: T W Douglas & Son

Location

Lies on Back Lane in Sedbergh about 50 metres after junction with Finkle Street, on the left hand side of the road. Currently [2004] the Sleepy Elephant Bookshop.

Public Transport Details

Nearest town/village: Sedbergh. Call Traveline on 0870 608 2 608 to plan your journey. After the welcome message key in 874 for Cumbria information.

Accessibility

Viewable from roadside.


Related Timeline

Related Themes