Skip primary navigation


Skip secondary navigation

Anglian artefacts, Fleets Farm

Click on images below to enlarge

Anglo-Saxon shield boss, Fleets Farm

© YDNPA, 2004,


Return to previous page

Anglian artefacts, Fleets Farm

Historical Environment Record No: MYD36693

Parish: East Witton Town

OS Grid Reference:

Dale: Lower Wensleydale

Link to Archaeology Data Service:
http://ads.ahds.ac.uk/catalogue/collections/blurbs/420.cfm

Description

A collection of Anglian artefacts was found in 1884 somewhere on Fleets Farm near East Witton. They may have come from one or more Anglian burials. They include an iron shield boss, typical of other Anglian graves in Yorkshire; three bronze annular brooches, two of which may have been found as a pair and a pair of blue glass beads with red applied spots. Items on display at the Dales Countryside Museum. Source: Manby, T G (1964) ‘Anglian Objects from Wensleydale’ Yorkshire Archaeological Journal. Vol 41 pp340-344

Location

Dales Countryside Museum, Hawes (usually on permanent display). Open daily. Contact hawes@yorkshiredales.org.uk for details of charges and opening times.

Public Transport Details

Nearest town/village: Hawes. Call Traveline on 0870 608 2 608 to plan your journey. After the welcome message key in 885 for North Yorkshire information.

Accessibility

Fully accessible. Contact hawes@yorkshiredales.org.uk for further details.


Related Timeline

Related Themes